Wednesday, August 19, 2009

ILMFJ

I Love My Fucking Job. I Love My Fucking Job. I Love My Fucking Job.

This is the mantra of the overworked and underpaid, ie my mantra. Days like today have me muttering it under my breath about every 5 minutes.

Just got back from 2 days off, and the very short list of things to do while I was away, was not done. There was like 4 things on the list, one of them was high priority, to finish the dessert for the dinner line. And that was half done by me the day before my 2 days off. All Snarky had to do was put it all together, seriously. I came in this morning and got it done in an hour, an HOUR! And I was slow as fuck because I got all of 4 hours of the sleep last night. (Thank you VERY much toga-clad residents)

(Also, the second stage of this dessert has not been done successfully by either Snarky or Freckles all summer and since I'm leaving in 2 weeks, I thought it would be a good idea for Snarky to do it.)

On top of that, the previous line desserts had something wrong with the crust, being that they sucked. And what does Snarky do instead of asking me what should be done about it? Asked the upstairs CDP what to do. Totally undermining me, WTF? So CDP comes down and says the crust is crap, we can't serve it (giving me sidelong glances all the while btw) and suggests that Snarky cut the old crust off, make a new one, bake it off and plop the damn thing on top. Snarky is neglecting to tell CDP that those are the crusts that SHE made, not me, so CDP thinks I made the crappy crusts. Snarky doesn't even apologize for fucking up. Not at all. Me, when I fuck up, which is not everyday, but often enough that I'm used to it, I practically grovel for forgiveness and do it over, no matter how long it takes. Snarky just shrugs it off like it's no big deal. Like cheesecakes that take a 3 step process over 2 days being unusable is no big deal. Urge to kill, rising.

So CDP needs some tea biscuits tomorrow for breaky samiches, we have some in the freezer but not enough, so Snarky decides to make a few more. Using the wrong recipe. I noticed on the first batch that the mix seemed a little dry, but I didn't say anything, mostly because Snarky had said all of 2 words to me all day and I really didn't feel like getting a death stare for correcting her. I figured the one batch was all she was going to do anyway and she'd be the one bringing them up to CDP in the AM so she could explain to her why they're dry as shit and not good for sandwiches. I was wrong, there was another batch to be made. (I had asked her when I came in at 6am if there was anything that needed to made today besides the cheesecakes and she said no, so I was wondering this whole time why she was baking.) This time, I couldn't let it go.

"Your mix looks a little dry there." I casually mention.
"Yeah, I thought so too." Snarky replies.
Awkward silence.
"Maybe you should add some more liquid." I suggest, Duh! I add mentally.
"Wouldn't egg keep it together better?" Snarky asks.
"I don't think so, that would add more protein and you'll never get it mixed properly now that your cream is already in there." I answer. "What recipe did you use?"
"Good Housekeeping." Snarky replies.
I fish out the book and scan the recipe index for the one we always use for tea biscuits (the one that is conveniently typed out and converted to various yields in the BINDER that I've put most {not all yet, still working on it} of our frequently used recipes in.)
"This one?" I ask, pointing to the tried and true recipe we've used a hundred times and should freakin know by heart now.
"No, this one." She says, turning a few pages back to a recipe for scones that we've never used, that says right in the method that they are to be rolled out, not dropped.

Forcibly holding back a major rolling of the eyes. I calmly explain the the proper recipe to use is the other one and it's in the binder, and that she should just add more cream to the current batch until it is the right consistency. The biscuits get baked off, they're crap. I tell Snarky I'll do them after she leaves for the day. She offers to scale out the recipe for me and get it started. Ok, since I had wanted to get some of the things done on the list-of-shit-that-didn't-get-done-while-I-was-gone.

So she scales it and goes home for the day. I finish it off, noticing that yet again, the mix seems dry. I'm beginning to think this poor girl just doesn't know how to measure liquid properly. Nor does she know how to think independently and adjust things as she goes along (obviously), nor does she know how to ask a freakin question if she's not sure about something instead of blindly following along untill she's in the weeds.

The biscuits got done, they weren't great, I don't think she measured things out properly. We need more of these for Saturday, guess who will be making them?

2 comments: