Thursday, December 17, 2009

Thursdaze Schooldaze: Half way there

So guess what? TBear came over for a bit and suddenly it's Thursday, not Wednesday so I can write about school rather than relationships. This is good and bad. Good cause I want to bitch about school and bad cause Roomies have been bickering at each other all night and that would make a good post too. But it's 1:14am on Thursday so it's school talk.

So, I have commenced the first semester of my second year of Hotel Restaurant Management at St. Retarded. I also took Culinary at St. Retarded but that program was much better so I wasn't calling it St. Retarded back then.

A little history:

My first year in this program I realized very early on that I could get by with minimal effort. What I mean by get by is get straight A's. Yup, that's right a 4.0, without even trying really. Second year however, my motivation has dropped completely off the charts. Therefore no 4.0, but I'm still passing. Final grades won't be posted till next week, but based on what I have so far I'm not overly concerned.

Today I got up at an ungodly hour to take the bus in this vile winter to get to an exam for 8am. (All 8am classes should be outlawed btw...nothing should start until at least 9.) This exam was for the class titled: Hotel Management. Pretty self-explanatory right? You'd think the class would be all about managing a hotel, yes? Well no, that would be too obvious. I stopped going to this class well before mid-terms, mostly because it's at 8am (the only class I had that early) and because it's downright patronizing. My exam today consisted of fill in the blanks, short answer, true or false and a short essay. All of these things were based upon the various guest speakers who have come to the class to talk to us about what they do in the hotel industry. I went to one of those classes. I'm still not worried about the exam. Another small section of questions was based on the tour the class took of a major hotel in the area. I was asked, in black and white, how many rooms does this hotel have?

Seriously, I'm not joking. That was a question on my final exam for Hotel Management. Not only did I not attend this tour (I've actually stayed in the hotel, I didn't think it was necessary, and again, it was 8am, and I had a Dr.'s appointment at 9 that day anyway,) but I honestly think questions like that have zero bearing on my ability to manage a hotel. In short, it's complete bullshit.

The other thing I did today was hand in a major project. The project is for a class called Catering & Convention Sales. The project consisted of coming up with a theme for our school's yearly wine gala, including a menu, decor, all that crap. We (all HRM students) are told that the theme for the gala will be picked based upon how awesome these projects are, this is obviously to give us the motivation to put alot of effort into these projects (group projects I might add, BARF.) The reality is that a panel of select college higher ups picks the theme out of their ass every year. They've already picked the theme, it's going to be "Midnight at the Oasis" because they've never done a middle eastern theme before.

How do I know this? Cause I do. Cause I'm in the know. And because I talk to the Chefs in the culinary department on a regular basis and they told me lol. So, as you can imagine, I didn't put much effort into my project. Insofar as to not "present it" as in, get up in front of everybody with a lame and boring powerpoint and sell my idea to them. Why? I already know what they're going to pick. Oh, they might actually change the name to "Arabian Nights" cause that's what one of the groups is doing for their project, but it's still the same damn theme and all of our projects mean didly.

During my summer out east I met alot of other HRM students from all over the country. And based upon talking to them about their schooling, I've concluded that just about any other college in the country has a better HRM program than St. Retarded. But in the end, we'll all have the same piece of paper qualifying us to manage in a hotel or a restaurant.

Basically all I've gotten out of this program is a bunch of textbooks....that we haven't used. Oh, and I know a little more about wine than I did before, including how much I really don't give a shit about it.

/Fail

No comments:

Post a Comment